About the Moxie
The Moxie exists to enrich our community through film and its power to engage, educate and inspire. We show movies and sell tickets but at our core we exist to make our community a better place to live. We achieve this by:
• Showing critically acclaimed films, new and old, with an eye toward movies that otherwise would not be shown in the Ozarks.
• Creating special programming, such as our Essential Films series, world-class stage productions, and local filmmaker showcases.
• Engaging speakers to cultivate discussion and expand our understanding not only of film, but of the world and our place in it.
• Building partnerships with other local non-profits to illuminate and enliven their mission through film.
• Sharing innovative and entertaining films with children to expand their world visually and culturally.
By curating and screening great films every day, we give members of the community access to new worlds and ideas, all from the comfort of downtown Springfield. Now more than ever, the arts matter and film in particular has the power to transport us to far-flung places, immerse us in different realities, and expand our understanding of the human experience.
The Moxie is a non-profit organization and as such, relies on the generous support of our community to advance our mission. The best way you can support our organization and get involved is to become a member – please visit our Membership page to learn more. And we have meaningful opportunities for businesses to get involved as well – please contact Mike at email@example.com to learn more.
Thanks to members, 2017 was an incredible year for our organization.
• We hosted 41,363 people for 2,147 screenings of 182 different films in 31 languages…including 14 made by local filmmakers.
• We grew our membership by 57%, and we now proudly have a community of more than 400 members – THANK YOU!
• With the goal of helping them bring their missions to life through film, we worked with more than 30 different community groups in 2017, hosting 70 special screenings.
• Over the year, we held 40+ special program screenings, from Essentials to Member Picks and In Translation to Staff Picks, opening up new worlds and perspectives to our community.
• We engaged children in 43 Moxie Mornings and Moxie Flix events, helping to create the next generation of film lovers while sharing new ideas and experiences.
Read more on our history here.