Films and Showtimes
- Best in Show (2000)
- The Old Man and the Gun
- The Sisters Brothers
- Saving Brinton (2017)
- Moxie Mornings
- On Stage: Frankenstein (Encore)
- Pick of the Litter (2018)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- Free Solo
- On Stage: King Lear
- The Essentials: City Lights (1931)
- Member Picks: Holiday (1938)
- Beautiful Boy
- The Essentials: It Happened One Night (1934)
- Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- The Essentials: His Friday Girl (1940)
- Ghost World (2001)
- The Essentials: The Lady Eve (1941)
- The Essentials: Seven Year Itch (1955)
The Spirit of the Beehive
- Starring: Fernando Fernán Gómez, Teresa Gimpera, Ana Torrent
- Director: Victor Erice
- Genre(s): Drama, Fantasy
- Rating: NR
- Language(s): English, Spanish
- Running Time: 95 min.
Drury @ the Moxie: Great insights to great films courtesy of Drury’s Humanities faculty
Dr. Heidi Backes will be presenting a discussion of the film.
SUMMARY: Eight-year-old Ana lives in a close-knit Castillian village with her daydreamer mother Teresa, older sister Isabel and father Fernando, who tends beehives for a living. After watching James Whale’s 1931 version of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff, little Ana becomes convinced that the monster in living in one of the nearby, rundown houses. When an escaped convict seeks refuge in one house, Ana believes she has finally met the monster of her nightmares.
"It's a film that transports us back not just to the sights and sounds of childhood but to a core of sweet innocence and sometimes ignorant bliss."- Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"... the finest and most beautifully wrought first film of the European '70s, a mysterious crucible as elusive, concrete, and visually primal as anything by Herzog, Straub, Olmi, or Denis."- Michael Atkinson, Village Voice
"This is a modest marvel of grace and framing that unfolds with the patience of a cloud and is driven more by wonder than pure emotion."- Wesley Morris, Boston Globe