Films and Showtimes
- Moxie Mornings
- Leaning Into the Wind
- On Stage: The Royal Ballet's Swan Lake
- They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
- Dirty Dancing @ Mother's Brewery
- Summer 1993
- Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
- The Essentials: Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
- Member Picks: Duel (1971)
- Eighth Grade
- Yellow Submarine
- My Fair Lady (1964)
- Bringing Up Baby (1938)
- The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
- The Thin Blue Line (1988)
- Cabaret (1972)
- Jurassic Park @ Mother's Brewery
- On Stage: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
- West Side Story (1961)
- Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
The Sea Inside (Drury @ The Moxie)
- Starring: Belén Rueda, Javier Bardem, Lola Dueñas
- Director: Alejandro Amenábar
- Genre(s): Biography, Drama
- Languages: Spanish, Catalan, Galician
- Rating: PG-13
- Running Time: 125 min.
Dr. Chris Panza will lead a post show discussion of the film.
Great insights to great films courtesy of Drury’s Humanities faculty.
This series is made possible by a grant from the Missouri Humanities Council.
Winner of the 2004 Academy Award (and 2004 Golden Globe Award) for Best Foreign Film, Alejandro Amenabar’s Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside) is beautifully filmed, deeply emotional, thoughtful, and provocative. It tells the (true life) story of Ramon Sampedro, a Spanish man who as a result of being paralyzed in a tragic diving accident, pursues a nearly thirty year battle to win the right to voluntarily end his life and die with dignity. A tour de force that captures us from beginning to end, the film raises powerful questions about the value of life, the morality of euthanasia, the nature and depth of our ethical obligations to others, and the role of the family. It is simply impossible to leave this film unmoved on a fundamental level.
"Bardem is brilliant. "- David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor
"A dramatic triumph. "- Jonathan Holland, Variety
"In the way that water can heal and harm, this film balances moments of dreamy spirituality with the salty harshness of family disputes. "- Kevin Allison, Premiere
"A monumentally moving experience, from the powerful acting by Javier Bardem to the evocative music, composed by the director, Alejandro Amenábar. "- Claudia Puig, USA Today
"Based on a true story, the movie has abundant humor and uplift - but it's a heartbreaker of extraordinary dimension. "- Jami Bernard, New York Daily News
"Bardem's performance is a marvel of restraint and control, both physical and emotional. "- Carina Chocano, Los Angeles Times